STRIDER Track Highlight: Akron BMX
We’ve been hearing good things from the “Buckeye State” so we sent them some questions to Akron BMX. They just got done building a sweet new main track and a STRIDER specific track for the youngest riders! If you’re in/near the Akron area stop by with your STRIDER riders! Maybe we’ll see some of their hot shots come down to Sarasota for the STRIDER World Championship…
2. The track operator is Don Hier, the Strider co-coordinator is Michaele Flickinger
3. We decided to build a STRIDER track so that anyone interested in BMX racing has the opportunity. We feel that BMX racing is a family event, and that STRIDER Riders are the future of BMX racing.
4. Our new STRIDER track is 160 ft. and is complete with a custom start gate!
5. It took us several hours to build the track, but we also used an excavator, Bobcat and rollers in the construction of the track.
6. The cost of the track to date has been $0.00. The dirt was donated from the City of Akron, and the gate and powder coating of the gate, would have cost $1,850.00, but has also been donated.
7. STRIDER riders have a great effect on the track, one of pride and accomplishment. All Strider riders at Akron receive their award on the podium. And trust me, when I say Brad Pitt doesn’t have as many flash bulbs going off as our Strider riders do when they accept their award. Our older riders help to groom and maintain the track, thus learning techniques to assist us on the main track. Parents who have children with special needs are watching their child excel, have fun, and do something they may have never dreamed possible for their child. And lastly but very important, Strider riders and their family’s have been embraced from all riders and family’s at Akron. This year 3 of the Strider’s from last year will now be racing on the main track.
8. STRIDER’s race on Sundays..Registration is 12:00-1:30 with their first moto at 1:45. They then race their main between the third set of moto and the main event on the main track Cost is $5.00 for races unless noted for special events. (i.e. State Race)
9. STRIDER Race Schedule for 2013: 4/28 5/5, 5/12,5/19. 6/2,6/8 (Saturday State Race) 6/9, 6/16. 6/22 (Olympic Day) 6/23, 6/30, 7/14,7/28, 8.18, 9/8, 9/15,9/29, 10/6, 10/13, 10/20, 10/27, 11/3
Anything else: I will continue to keep you posted..Great things are happening at Akron BMX, and we are pleased to offer STRIDER racing at our track..We also have increased our Strider rental and now have 6 bikes available for rent as well.